Monday, September 10, 2007

Semana Dos



This whole last week of school has been great. Even when the newness of Spanish classes wore off, I was still having a great time. My teacher, Salva, is a ton of fun and I'm expecting the rest of the quarter to be similar. We've got our first test tomorrow, but it shouldn't be that bad--after all, it's for beginners, right?




This weekend was at least as fun as last weekend, even though it got off to a little bit of a rocky start. There's this thing called a botillon (I think) that the Spanish kids do out here--get a bottle of liquor, a bottle of coke, and some plastic cups and go hang out in the street or in a park for a while. So, I was doing this with some guys in the park when the police showed up. It turns out that we stupid Americans were having our first botillon in the only park in Sevilla that it's illegal. They just made us throw away the rum and head on our way. We ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in a bookstore--which is probably a much better use of our time.




Speaking of bookstores, I've started re-reading The Hobbit, but this time in Spanish. I've put in a good 6 hours or so and I've gotten all the way to page 4 with some severe help from my dictionary. It might be a lofty goal to read it this semester, but I'm hoping my Spanish will improve to the point where I don't use the dictionary 5 times every sentance.




Sunday afternoon was definitely the highlight of the weekend--we went to a genuine Spanish bullfight. Completely not knowing what to expect, the first bull was pretty intense--but around the fifth or sixth it was getting a little old. Some of the people in the group weren't quite ready for the killing (which was definitely a bit sad), but it was so intense and interesting that I didn't think about it too much. The Matadors are certainly pretty bold, but you start to recognize that while the bulls are pretty fierce, they're also really dumb. Really, how many times can you run through a red sheet before realizing you're really not getting anything? In all, it was definitely something I'd recommend for anybody to see.

2 comments:

adam said...

jealousy is welling up inside of me. tell salva i send him a kiss! tell david to cut his nails, he's creepy! :) enjoy sevilla: sit and take it all in, explore, love living life.

Mary said...

Hola sobrino! No me gusta el photo del toro. Que lastima! Pero la otra-ya terminaste tu trabajo. La playa esta muy bonita y tus amigas tambien. Tenga cuidad en el parque. Dios te bendiga en Espana. Te estrano!